Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato!
The Butternut Squash soup is available on a lot of menus around the world! It is cheap, simple, healthy, and so delicious! So a lot of restaurants will have this soup on hand. But I have taken this simple classic and added a major twist, but adds a PILE of new variety, SWEET POTATO!
I love sweet potato’s, we eat them a lot around here. Check out my Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry RIGHT HERE. I made Butternut Squash quite a bit, but one day I thought “Hey I bet I could do this with a sweet potato!” And it totally worked! I recommend trying each variation out, even before adding the two together, just to taste the differences. The process is exactly the same, just sub in one for the other.
The noble butternut squash, ready to be squashed.. The real great thing about this soup is that it is a puree, meaning you can chop chunky because you are going to blend it later, which equals SPEED! Less chopping time = More wine time! Check out these 3 wines I reviewed!
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Large White Sweet Potato
- 1 White onion
- 4 Carrots
- 4 Stalks of celery
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger
- ¼ Cup butter
- 1 Litre Chicken Stock
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning (Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme)
- 1 TSPN Nutmeg
- 1 Pinch cinnamon
- Salt, Pepper
- Start by melting butter in soup pot
- Chop veg chunky to save time
- Saute on med-hi heat Onion, Carrot, Celery, Ginger
- Add all the spices, continue to saute until aromas coming through
- Add chopped Butternut squash and Sweet potato, continue to saute stir for 5 mins
- Add chicken stock until level with top of veg
- Bring up to boil, then down to a simmer until potato is soft
- Transfer into a blender OR use a hand mixer to puree until creamy smooth
- Taste and see if it needs more salt, OR add more butter.
MOST great soups start this exact same way! Onion, carrot, celery. Saute this goodness up with the spices!
Get the butternut squash and potato chuffed up in the other veg to get some colour on them. Remember you are going to blend this soup so the flavours are REALLY going to change once thats done. Be safe and don’t go crazy on the spices until AFTER you blend it up!
As I have mentioned before, my soups I simmer for sometime, this was after a solid hour, but I have let it go for much longer in the past.
Ahh the Vita-mix. This is more of a weapon than a kitchen tool ;P We are very lucky to have one, it is incredible. Helpful tip, if you make more soup than you have blender space, have a steel bowl on hand to transfer the puree into after blending! As seen below.
So smooth, a hand mixer WILL work, but a blender is going to really work it out for you MUCH faster!
And there you have it! Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup! Serve with some fresh Naan, or a really nice piece of bread. A dollop of greek yoghurt gives it a little tang as well! Enjoy!